5.11.2010

Just Doing My Breast. Uhm, Best.




Oh My Gah! I did it! I've nursed my Little Man for 6 months.

6 MONTHS!







I endured the pain. The latching shannanigans. The pinching and scratching! I really didn't think I was going to last this long. And I can't help but be proud. And blessed! It's hard, and I did it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not all high and mighty about BFing. I can't stand the BM vs formula debate. Sure, there are endless benefits to BFing. But it's not for everyone. Feed your baby. Love your baby. Teach your baby. Do that, and your an awesome mom in my book.

And today, I feel like a pretty awesome momma!

Now, I have to throw in my disclaimer: He wasn't exclusively breastfed. He's had formula at 3 different points in his life. The first, he had neonatal low blood sugar at birth, and somewhere along the way, I agreed to give him formula and glucose mixed together. Pfft. This one shouldn't count, because a) Its medical. And b) The nurse druged me. No, really! But that's a different post ;) Anyway. The second was about 6 weeks in. Looking back, it was probably in part due to mild PPD. There were times I just didn't want to feed him. As weird as that sounds, I can't really explain it. I also hated nusing in public or around people... And people were always around! So there was a 3 week period where he had a bottle of formula every couple of days. Then I figured out how to work a pump :) The third, was when a day trip to a nearby town for a concert turned into an all nighter when we got to hang out with the band's singer. Notbraggingatall. When the freezer stash ran out, My Mommy gave him some formula. All in the name of rock n' roll, haha!

Other than that, he's strictly on the boob juice. :)

All in all, I've made it this far, and I'm happy! But now I'm kinda stuck. I had originally planned on weaning at this point. Now I'm not so sure that I want to. Formula is quite spendy, and with Roman being layed off, right now it's not really an option. On top of that, I kinda like nursing my baby He's super snuggly! And cleaning bottles constantly is a pain compared to just popping him in position.

I have a couple things on my mind though. Because you know the first thing everyone is going to ask! They'll all want to know "How long?" And what about my supply? Does it grow with him? No nurse ever tells you about the second six months! Do I need to know anything about long term BFing?? Ahhh, I almost feel like a begginer all over again!

Truth is, I don't know a single answer. Yet. But I'm still excited!!! Cause I did it! Haha, and maybe the rest is just going to have to be up to Chazz!


Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

nicolesspirit878 said...

Congrats momma! That is an accomplishment and something to be proud of!

Erin said...

I didn't breastfeed, but a friend of mine who did started weaning when the first tooth came in because apparently teeth are painful. She didn't do it quick, he still got breast milk at bedtime until he was almost a year, but she couldn't deal with the teeth every few hours. And from what I read before my daughter was born, your milk supply is totally dependent upon how much your child needs. If less is needed, your supply decreases, if more is needed it will increase, although it will take a couple days to catch up.

Found you through the D-List Blog Party :D